My Blog List

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Burnt Out


                Sports keep growing and with this growth spurt comes parents that think their child needs to start playing sports at a very early age to make sure that by the time they are older they will be good. This plan can succeed and make the parents look good but a lot of the times it back fires.

                I started playing baseball when I was 6, playing tee ball for the Hiawatha Kids League. The next year I decided to join a couple of my friends to play in the junior cougar program. But the youngest division was 8 and under so my teams, full of 7 year olds, were forced to play much bigger and better 8 year old teams. We played a lot of games and I think we only won about 2.           

                As we grew up we got a lot better but being better allows you to play more. So by the time we were 10 we were playing 60-70 games a year and a lot of them were out of state tournaments almost every weekend. We ended up being pretty good. When we were 14 we got second in the World Series that was held in Kansas City.

                Once we out grew the junior cougar program we played baseball for the school, beginning as an 8th grade team. But me and most of my junior cougar team were moved up to play for the freshman. It was fun to play with kids that were older and that you never got the chance to play with.

                After my 8th grade year I decided that I didn’t enjoy baseball enough to play anymore so I never played again. I think I was burnt out of the game because I wasn’t bad I just couldn’t handle spending hours a day in the summer for a sport I really didn’t enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment