My Blog List

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Swimming Superstar


I was 6 years old when I joined the local swim team. Both of my sisters finished swimming lessons and decided that they wanted to go out for the city swim team and me being the little brother, I wanted to too. I was already a good swimmer because I grew up a few blocks away from a pool and me and my mom and sisters would go to the pool every day, rain or shine. This is where I originally learned how to swim, no swimming lessons just messing around at the pool all day.
I was very talented at a very young age. I could swim every stroke and do well when I was swimming kids two years older than me because the youngest division was 8 and under. At practice I swam with the older kids because the kids my age weren’t fast enough for me. Plus I liked the older kids a lot more. Swimming with the older kids challenged me and made me push myself which just made me better and by the time I turned 8 I won the 8 and under 25 yard breaststroke city championship.
            The best part of my younger days of swimming was the enjoyment I got. Nowadays every time I wake up early for swim practice I hate it and I don’t want to swim. But back then I woke up early every morning wanting to go to the pool to get better and swim. I don’t absolutely hate swimming anymore because if that was the case I would’ve quit by now. I don’t love it anymore but I enjoy enough to still do it.
            Once this winter is over and I’m done swimming I will be glad it’s over. I do want to keep swimming though when I’m older to stay in shape but I won’t ever be swimming competitively again. I don’t know why I don’t like swimming anymore. I think it is like what happened to me and my baseball career where I over played it as a young kid and started to hate it once I got older.
           

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I think you have a couple of topics here that you could even explore more in other posts. For instance, you learned and improved in swimming by being around older swimmers. Why do you think that was? And...what other aspects of school and work could (or do) benefit from this way of learning?

    Also, I think the sports burn out (not sure that's what it is...exactly) is an intriguing topic. Why does it happen? Can an athelete overcome it? What do others say about this? Surely someone has asked Phelps, yes?

    ReplyDelete