My Blog List

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Heisman Hopefuls

                Since I think the NFL is better, I don’t follow college football that well. But I do tend to look out for the Heisman hopefuls throughout the season because they will be future NFL stars. This year has already been exciting with the talent that some of the guys bring to the game.
                Geno Smith, the quarter back for the West Virginia Mountaineers, completed 88% of his passes and threw for over 650 yards of passing. He also was involved in 8 touchdowns. He is the leader in the Heisman hopeful race in my opinion. Based off of the game he played Saturday and the fact that his team still hasn’t lost. My favorite part about him is that he is so athletic and can make plays with his legs but he also has amazing accuracy throwing the deep ball and reminds me a lot of Robert Griffin III who has emerged as a young star in the NFL.
                Another top runner in the race is the Ohio State quarter back, Braxton Miller. Many people describe Miller has a running back that can throw and after watching a game you know why. He has the ability to score on any play whether it’s him throwing a deep ball to a closely guarded wide receiver or himself breaking it to the outside and out running everyone on the field. He also is playing for a very good football team that should easily win the Big 10 Championship. The fact that Miller is only a sophomore this year is kind of a scary thought knowing he will be sticking around for a while.
                Since I live in Iowa I will put Mark Weisman in. I personally don’t think he has a chance of winning the Heisman but he is having a pretty amazing season for a walk on from Air Force. He story might be the best part about him though. A not very highly recruited fullback went to Air Force but decided he wanted to go to Iowa so he walks on and becomes third string fullback. Then Iowa’s backfield starts to fall apart with injuries and other reasons so Weisman gets his chance and trust me he took full advantage of it. Rushing for over 100 yards in the first quarter against the Minnesota defense he proved he can do what he has to do. But Iowa still hasn’t played a good team and I think that once they do Weisman’s stats will start to decline.
                No matter who wins I look forward to seeing these kids in the NFL someday making plays against the best of the best. For now though I will continue to be amazed by the numbers they put up against their opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment